Clos de L'Oratoire des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2019

A shining example of just how great the white wines of Châteauneuf-du-Pape can be - rich, yet herby and refreshing.

In stock
£34.95
Intense yellow hue with delicate green hints. The nose exudes intense notes of white and yellow stone fruits (pear, quince, peach) before evolving towards notes of acacia and a remarkable finesse. Discreet aromas of dried fruits are the sign of a sunny vintage. The palate is as powerful as the vintage itself. The limestone helped to conserve the wine’s approachability and has imparted a beautiful salinity to the finish which contrasts with the richness of the attack. A pleasant dryness lingers on the end palate to bring a unique dimension to the tasting experience. The Clos de l’Oratoire des Papes white 2019 will come into its own alongside white meats in a creamy sauce, hard cheeses, grilled lobster or crayfish cooked in salted butter and served with toasted bread. This wine can be enjoyed in its youth to appreciate its freshness, fruitiness and salinity or otherwise kept for several years in the cellar during which time it will develop floral, mineral notes and a hint of petrol (up to 20/25 years).

The history of Clos de l’Oratoire des Papes dates back to the 19th century, the year 1880 to be precise, when Edouard Amouroux was bequeathed by marriage a beautiful vine parcel situated within a Clos. The Clos des Oratoriens was born. It was named after the oratory located just beneath the parcel in question. Built in the 18th century, this small chapel was dedicated to Saint-Marc, patron saint of winemakers and protector of the vine against bad weather, and remains a popular destination for annual religious processions to this day.

In 1926 his son Léonce Amouroux created the Maison Amouroux and decided to rename his wine ‘Clos de l’Oratoire des Papes’ in memory of the Popes who, in the 14th century, built their summer palace in the hills behind what is now the village of Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

The Clos de l’Oratoire des Papes label is one of the most iconic in the whole of the appellation and well known throughout the world.

Although Châteauneuf-du-Pape wines are well-known today, in particular for their great red wines (95% of the appellation) mainly from Grenache Noir varieties, connoisseurs will recognise in the white wines all the signs of a great 'terroir'. Two limestone plots at the Terroirs du Clos are kept for a wine whose uniqueness has no equal with regard to its delicacy, which will seduce palates that are seeking freshness and minerality.

This wine combines 25% Grenache Blanc, 25% Roussanne, 25% Clairette and 25% Bourboulenc grapes.

The grape juice is vinified in egg-shaped concrete vats to create gravitational movement (known as the ‘vortex phenomenon’) by ensuring that the lees remain suspended so as to increase aromatic potential. 80% of the blend is fermented in vats at between 15 and 18°C and then aged on its full lees and without malolactic fermentation. The remaining 20% of the blend is fermented in 300 litre new oak barrels and stirred gently through until December time. It is aged in cellars carved 6 metres deep into the rock. They ensure optimum and perfectly stable temperatures and humidity levels throughout the year. 

Clos de L'Oratoire des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2019
Clos de L'Oratoire des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2019
  • France
  • Clairette
  • 2019
  • Ogier
  • 14%
  • Standard - 75cl
  • Cork

Product Benefits

Goes well with

How to serve

Meet the producer

Clos de L'Oratoire des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2019
Free delivery on UK Mainland orders over £135* Sign up for our newsletter Need help? Contact us here.

PAY IN 3 INTEREST-FREE
PAYMENTS


For purchases between £30 and £2,000

paypal

Make one payment today, then pay
the rest monthly

paypal

Apply easily and get an instant
decision

paypal

Check out with PayPal and choose
Pay in 3


Additional eligibility criteria and terms apply.

For full details, visit https://www.paypal.co.uk/payin3